- 1 ½ pounds of longaniza, removed from casing (Italian ring sausage can be substituted)
- 1 large Spanish onion, medium chop
- 5 stalks of celery, medium chop
- 4 carrots, trimmed, peeled and medium chop
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounce cassava bread, broken into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Set the longaniza to saute in a large saute pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and stirring until lightly browned. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic, and cook over medium heat until wilted and transparent.
Finish crumbling the cassava into the saute pan, and stir to mix completely. Pour the chicken broth over the contents of the pan, and stir so that the cassava soaks up the broth.
Butter a baking dish with the butter, and transfer the contents of the pan to the prepared dish. Dot with any remaining butter. Check the seasoning (you won’t need much, if using longaniza, as it is highly seasoned). Cover with aluminum foil. Can be made ahead up to this point.
Bake for 20 minutes, uncover, and bake another 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisped on top.