- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet red pepper, small diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped pimento stuffed olives
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat until hot, but not smoking. Add the onion, garlic, pepper, cilantro and olives and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Work the pork into the mixture, using your spoon to break any large clumps that may form. Raise the heat to high to aid in reducing the beef juices.
Stir the tomato paste into the meat mixture, lower the heat to medium, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring so the tomato paste does not stick (the juices from the beef should loosen the tomato paste, if the meat seems dry, add 2-3 tablespoons of water). Incorporate the peas and carrots, lower the heat, and cover, cooking 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.
Adjust the seasonings and serve.