- 1 ½ pounds large (about 20 per pound) shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips about 2 inches long
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips about 2 inches long
- Half a small red onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1 small bunch cilantro, thick stems removed, the rest chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fine sea or kosher salt
- 1 Scotch bonnet, jalapeno or hot chili pepper of your choice, stemmed and minced
- 12 lemons, or as needed
- 8 limes, or as needed
- 4 oranges, or as needed
Toss the shrimp, yellow and red pepper, onion, cilantro, salt and chili pepper together in a bowl to mix them evenly. Pack into a non-reactive container (a 2-quart glass jar works well). Squeeze the citrus, strain out any seeds and pour over the shrimp and vegetables. There should be enough juice to cover the shrimp and vegetables, if not add more. Seal the container and refrigerate until the shrimp is opaque, 12 hours to one day.
To serve: Drain, discard most of the liquid and pile the shrimp and vegetables in a serving bowl.